4.02.2014

Introducing Georgia James




Georgia James Kunkler
4.2.14
8:43 AM
6lbs, 8 oz
19"



Given both Harrison and Lucia's rather dramatic birth stories, Georgia was scheduled to make her appearance via cesarean on the morning of April 2nd.  While I truly believed this was the best decision for the safety of us both, there was still a piece of me that yearned for my baby and my body to initiate this journey.  I was so lucky to have a friend as an OB who listened to my concerns and allowed me to push back the scheduled date a few days closer to my due date to give our little one more time to be ready for her grand entrance.  

Having a scheduled birth was a rather surreal experience...as the date grew closer, and still no signs of labor, the anticipation of the procedure and meeting our little girl grew larger.  I couldn't sleep the night before as I was flooded with a range of emotions and anxiety.  On the morning of the 2nd, Andy and I awoke early, gave hugs to my Mom who would be staying with Harrison and Lucia, and drove to the hospital, knowing that we would be meeting our baby girl just after 8am.  It was a gorgeous, crisp morning, and after checking in and starting the surgery preparations, we watched the light grow, illuminating a majestic Mt. Adams.  Soaking in the dawn calmed my nerves, as well as discussing what we should call this little wonder child.  We had narrowed our list of names down to just a few over the past week, and although we had anticipated waiting until she was born, this moment presented us with her name.  



And then it was time to head into the operating room, where I said goodbye to Andy for a time while the anesthesiologist performed their magic....which didn't quite feel like magic at the time.  A complication with the epidural made what I'm sure was minutes feel like hours, and I pulled out every mind trick/hypno birthing technique I could think of to get through it.  The initial experience was challenging, but once I was able to touch Andy's hand again and be in the skilled hands of my two favorite OB's, my fears were replaced by the love and calmness surrounding me.  Just as the surgery began, a contraction was a little gift from the divine, signaling that this was the time our baby was meant to be brought into the world.  I was elated.  


Roughly 20 minutes later, our beautiful baby Georgia made her grand appearance, and before I could see her, the sound of her sweet cry resonated in my soul and I was overcome with love.   



Love at first sound, at first sight, at first touch, and first nuzzle.  The overwhelming joy was inexplicable, and seeing the love in Andy's eyes as he held our sweet little Georgia, unforgettable.  Welcome to the world Georgia James, you are so loved.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment